Friday, July 23, 2021

My Deer Friend

Today I had the most precious encounter with a baby deer! =)

There are several deer living on my property, always an eye gaze away! They feel safe here, and I cherish and protect that for them. I've even nicknamed part of my lanai "Deer Point," because they love snuggling up under my holly tree and junipers. So close, in fact, that I could lean over and pet them, if they'd let me. But I haven't tried, because it's so much more important to me that they feel safe.

This afternoon, a baby was there, seemingly all alone (though mom and dad proved themselves very nearby later on), as happens every day, and it spotted me in my sunroom about the same time I spotted him or her!

And for me it was love at first sight! Well, okay, first sight today, at least. but it was so close and I felt torn between befriending the little one with a handful of deer corn all the while worrying that may inadvertently lead to a trust that could cost it its very life one day.

I just began leaving them deer corn the other day, though they've been here for years, but I'm trying to keep it a natural find so they don't develop a dependency and stay safe in the process.

Anyway, I used sign language to let the little one know there's a lot of love in my heart for them, and that they are safe here with me. And instead of the little one taking off running, he/she seemed to get my message and, after our long staring contest, it just went about its peaceful grazing in place. It was such an amazing experience!

I feel so honored by their presence, their closeness, and I cherish being able to be their inadvertent caretaker/safe home provider!

The little kid in me feels as though I met Rudolph himself today, and got to spend some time with him.

And 2 hours later he brought his Mom and Dad by, to that very spot, to say "hi!" <3

They knew I was there, and they were okay with that! <3 <3 <3

I need them to know that I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No vulgarity or abuses permitted.